Sunday, January 8, 2012

Dating .....children NOT included!

Not really sure where I am going to go with this post but I have a lot going on in my mind right now so bare with me as I try to explain it in a way that is easy to understand.  There is an issue that has been bothering me for some time but I have chosen not to talk about it as I was afraid to step on some people's toes but it is a topic I feel very compassionate about.  I actually take pride in the fact that I don't really shield my children from the world or sensor to much with them.  Some people would not agree with this approach with parenting but then everyone is entitled to their opinion.  Just like you I have an opinion on raising children and I am about to share that here.  Even though I pride in the non sensor ship that takes place in my home there is one thing that I do continue to shield my children from and that would be my relationships with other men.  I don't agree with and never have agreed with having your children around men that you are casually dating or what ever you call it.  I think we as adults have a hard enough time dealing with the emotional aspects of being in a relationship and asking our children to engage in that is just plain MAD!  I can count on one hand the number of men that I have let into my home and around my children.  One I have known for over 15 years and the other is one of my best friends.  At the same time that these men were around my children they had no idea that I was engaged in a relationship with these men.
I have had this talk with my children and they know that I am dating but they are also aware that they will not be meeting anyone until it gets to be serious and when I say serious I mean months into the relationship.  I would never ask my children to have to deal with the emotions that come along with a broken relationship.  I think we downplay how quickly children can get attached to another man.   This point was made very clear to me just the other night while having what I thought was a playful conversation with my 10 year old daughter.  My daughter asked me if I ever wanted to get married again.  I thought about it and said no probably not and she seemed distressed by this answer.  I jokingly made the statement that she was just upset cuz she wanted to be in a wedding or be a bridesmaid.  She turned her face away from me and when I turned her face back to mine I could see her eyes welling up with tears.  She then made a statment that will be forever engraved in my memory......."I just wanna know what it's like to have a daddy."  With that we both started to cry.  So you can say what you want but I would never "dangle" that dream in front of her without knowing it was a real possibility.
I'm not going to tell other women how to raise their children but I just really wish they would think twice about this one thing as I think it can affect a child for life.  I don't know if my daughter will ever get her wish but I can tell you this that I am not out looking for someone to  fulfill this wish.  I am going to continue to date and if the guy does not meet the qualities I feel are necessary to be a good father then there is no need to go any further with it.  I mean why can't women just date????  Why does every relationship we have with men have to be serious and why does he have to always be "THE ONE!"  I can date and still be a good mother.  A man will not take me away from my children and they will always be my first priority but I am also entitled to my free time.
Ok that is all I have to say on this matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment